Wednesday, January 21, 2009

January 20th, 2009

In spite of the disappointment of learning that we didn’t actually have tickets to the inauguration, we decided to make the best of it. The night of the 19th Julia and I left the hotel with provisions (blanket, scarves, hats, gloves, etc.) and walked down toward the Mall to get a good spot for the next day. When we got there, about 10 other UPIC students were already there so we joined them at the front gate of the public section. We then proceeded to get very close, very quickly – we built a “fort” out of random white cardboard boxes to block out the biting wind. Then we all started to sing songs and substitute words with Obama’s name…it was so funny and we all became fast friends.

I mostly sat with Marco, a boy from Mexico, Ann from Germany, David from Norway, and Will from France, studying in England. It was great to talk about European politics and get some outside perspectives on the American government and political system. After 15 hours of snuggling, complaining, shivering uncontrollably (it was arguably the COLDEST I have EVER been and I have freezer burn on my face to prove it!), singing sporadically, and yelling and chanting for occasional news cameras that came our way, we finally began to realize how many people were actually behind us and appreciate the fact that we the first row among millions. I must admit, I couldn’t actually distinguish figures on the stage from where I was, but I couldn’t have possibly gotten any closer without a ticket. Thank goodness for jumbotrons.

We suffered for another hour watching Representatives, Justices, Senators, Governors and spouses come onto the stage before we could begin to get excited about Obama coming out. I was disappointed in my fellow spectators when they began to boo George W. Bush as he came out. I may not be a huge fan of the policies of his administration, but I clapped for him and said a prayer of thanks that someone would be willing to devote years to the efforts of trying to keep our country safe.

It was amazing to hear Aretha Franklin sing live. Then, when Obama came out, I couldn’t cheer because I found that there was a lump in my throat. He looked very serious. I wondered how his family really felt about the sacrifice they were making – the next four to eight years are going to be hard not just on the nation but particularly on their family. I was prompted to say another silent prayer of thanks, and asked the Lord to bless this incredible man that he may have the strength, integrity, and guidance that will help him endure his inevitable future hardships. I know he isn't perfect and that many people will be disappointed when he can't solve all of our problems quickly - but nevertheless, I support him and have hope that his administration will make America a better place.


I noticed in that at one point in the oath, there were some stumbles in the wording but I couldn’t tell who had messed up – I later found out that Chief Justice John Roberts switched the word “faithfully” to the end of the sentence and it tripped Obama up a little. After he took the oath, the crowd went wild. It was amazing to look behind me and see millions of people standing in the freezing cold to cheer Obama on, even though most of us could only see him by jumbotron. Then Obama gave a speech which gave me goosebumps. It was silent as he spoke of the American dream and reminded us that we had a rocky road ahead – but that didn’t mean that his words weren’t as much about hope as they were about patience and caution. As he spoke, I looked around me and I wasn’t the only person with tears in my eyes – his message is one of hope to EVERYONE, and he didn’t come out as a Democrat or a a black man only, but as an American who came from humble beginnings and is now serving his country in the best way he can. I am so grateful to live in a nation that values democracy and that I have a voice in it as a woman and a citizen.

Getting out of the crowd was insane. I had to channel Obama-ness in order to keep from yelling at the people shoving me. Sweet Marco offered his arm to me when the crowds got too big and led me through them so we could walk back to our hotels together. It was about a 5 mile trip because so many roads were blocked off. Entire streets were packed with people and cars were sitting idle in the middle because no one, man or machine, could get through faster than a snail’s pace.

When I finally got back to the hotel, I stripped off my hot and dirt/grass covered clothes and ran to splash cool water on my windburned-face. I then proceeded to find a note from my roommate, who attended one session total and spent everyday in her pajamas in bed, ordering room service – didn’t go to Al Gore or Colin Powell, or any inaugural activities, for that matter – had gotten an early flight out of D.C. and left me an empty room until I had to leave the next morning. I wasn’t terribly disappointed – it was nice to finally have the room to myself. So, I got in bed almost immediately and fell asleep for a couple of hours.

I had mostly decided not to go to the UPIC Inaugural Gala Ball because it sounded like any other college dance – maybe only a little fancier – and I knew that no one important would be there. I was exhausted physically and emotionally, in pain, and needed some time to pack, journal, and contemplate what I had experienced that day. But after some texts from my conference friends, I made an executive decision over the drama queen in me to go and make the best of it. After all, I did have my homecoming dress altered before I came and then carted it with me to D.C. And how many times will I go to an event which rented out the National Air and Space Museum?

It was basically a fancy college dance. There was a live band, which was surprisingly good, but there wasn’t much of a dance floor so we spent most of the time looking at exhibits. We met a boy from Nevada who is studying in New York and hung out with him for the night – it’s funny how easily people make friends in situations like this. It turned out to be really fun, but by midnight I was glad to get back to the hotel and get my heels off.

I’m packed and ready to get back home! D.C. has been great and I love the energy of the city. I will never forget this experience and I’m so grateful for the opportunity to be here at such a historical moment.

Thanks for letting me share this with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment