Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Watergate… LewinskiGate… and Purple Gate

After waking at 6 am, I joined some friends and left to wait in line for inauguration.  I had a purple ticket, and the purple ticket holders were shepherded into a long line in a tunnel.  I spent four hours in the tunnel where it was very cold and crowded.  My friends and I met many people in the tunnel, from places like Iowa, Ohio, California and Kansas.  A few of them had even worked for the Obama campaign.




In line, we even met Tate Donovan (who played Jimmy Cooper on the OC, was the voice of Hercules in the Disney movie, and dated Jennifer Aniston).  He took this picture with us and told us how he likes to snowboard in Utah.



We finally got out of the tunnel and basked in the light of the sun and in our hopes of finally getting in to the National Mall.  These hopes were dashed when we saw that the purple gate entrance was closed.  Because this gate was not well regulated, people had snuck in line and the section became full.  After we were herded into another area, we thought we would finally get in to catch the last part of the ceremony.  The crowd shouted "5,6,7,8 let us in the purple gate!" or chanted the Obama campaign phrase "Yes we can!"  Then we heard the blasts of the 21-gun salute and we knew we were not getting in.  Many people in the crowd were brought to tears because of disappointment.



On return to my apartment, I spoke with two friends who were upset because they had blue tickets and were not able to get in either.  Some of my roommates had tickets and didn't get in either but listened to Obama's speech from an old radio that an elderly man had brought in case he didn't get in.  At the conclusion of the ceremony, this man told my roommates to take advantage of the future and they felt very inspired from their experience.  Two of my other roommates with purple tickets were able to get in even though they arrived two and a half hours after I did.  Although I am disappointed I was not able to witness the inauguration ceremony, I am glad I could experience the emotion and chaos involved in the event and I feel a special bond with the thousands of other purple ticket holders unable to get inside.

1 comment: